RPGs, Movies, Computer Games, Music listening, Photography....Anything that is interesting fun and supposingly "unproductive".Politics included (sad really)

Thursday 3 March 2011

First time that the oscars didn't irritate people that much?...Part 2

In the last post I covered the Black Swan , King's Speech and Inception...In this here 2nd part I will cover the rest of the Best picture nominees that I managed to watch...Toy Story, Social Network and True Grit...




TOY STORY 3: The 3rd and last installment of the most famous CG animation and one of the first to prove (Thanks to PIXAR's creativity) that fully computer animated movies can exist and actually be really good. I remember when I saw the first in the cinemas. It was 1995 and being a 12 year old child I actually loved it...But it is not that difficult to impress a child especially with this new technology that back then it looked SO impressive. But when I saw it as an adult I still loved it. Nice, fresh for its day and really smart and funny. And the second one was pretty good as well. But this time and with the Disney logo on it too(If it wasn't for PIXAR Disney would still not have a good animated movie in its name in the recent years) the bar was raised and raised big. Everything is made beautifully. The humor is as great as always and this movie , like its predecessors, really gets you in to the world of the toys. Great story and excellent pacing and a very impressive and intense final act. Some say that it became too emotional in the end. Maybe that is true but it was not cheesy or corny. It was actually genuine and healthy emotion and it makes perfect sense for a kids movie. A great goodbye to the series. Still of course it was only a kids movie and could not possibly compete with the rest of the movies on the nominations but still another great film by PIXAR.


THE SOCIAL NETWORK: Easily the most unexpected surprise this year. When I first heard that a movie about facebook was being made my instinctive reaction was:"Great...More Bullshit".But was I Wrong...The first hint was when I heard that D.Fincher was directing the movie...Hey he is actually a good director. Why would he direct such a boring movie? Well when I saw it I got my answer. It was is a really good movie. And of the most fresh movies this year. The directing and the pacing was flawless(Better than King's Speech in my opinion). The characters enjoyable and intriguing even they were being assholes. The acting excellent all throughout the movie and especially Eisenberg. It was a really boring plot theoretically but the movie was executed so good that it was captivating from start to finish. And if you believe the fact that the movie was more or less accurate you essential have a biographical movie for one of the most popular Internet events in its brief history. What was also impressive was the realism. Every single thing concerning technical details was actually pretty accurate to reality. I do not really remember the last movie where I saw so much technical jargon that were actually accurate to reality. Most of the times in other movies when technical details are mentioned you end up screaming "Bullshit" to the screen. Not here though. Most of them here were well researched and quite plausible(more or less). Very impressive.


 TRUE GRIT: This is the Coen take on the western genre. And it is very good.It might even be my second personal pick for the best picture this years. Yes truly it is a typical western and does not deliver anything more than that but it does it so well. Great direction in the typical Coen fashion. Slow but skillful. An ok story suitable for this type of film and great characters as they ought to be. Beautiful cinematography and great locations. Ok nothing too original but what more could you want from a western. And the most powerful aspect was the quality of the acting from Bridges (What a shock!) and even more from the girl Hailee Steinfeld. Their performance was really what made you keep watching.Even Matt Damon was not half bad , although when I saw him it the trailer he seem so out of his place. And the final show down...Hell it was awesome....What more could you ask from a western(Yeah I know I am repeating myself). If only if it wasn't for that damn southern accent. Man there were times I could not understand a  single sodding thing. I am afraid I have to re-watch it on DVD with subs to get the whole of it...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Powered by Blogger